Eye Topic of the Month
May is Healthy Vision Month
Healthy Vision Month: How to Stay in Shape to Protect Your Eyes
Diet and lifestyle choices can directly affect your eyes. The best way to take care of your eyes during May’s Healthy Vision Month and year-round is to look after your overall health and get eye exams when you should. Exercising, eating right and quitting smoking (or better yet, never starting) are three of the best investments you can make in your vision.
Making healthy choices and getting regular eye exams can help reduce the risk of getting some eye diseases. And healthy choices can reduce vision loss or slow down the disease if you do have age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma.
This Healthy Vision Month, the American Academy of Ophthalmology encourages you to find ways to be healthier, so your vision will last a lifetime.
- Read our top 10 tips for keeping your eyes healthy.
- Learn easy steps you can take to keep your eyes healthy as you age.
- Eat well! Leafy greens, citrus fruit and cold-water fish like salmon are some of the best things you can eat to help protect your eyes.
- Find out why dilated eye exams are important and what to expect when your eyes are dilated.
- Need to Find an Ophthalmologist? We can help.
- Have a question about your eye health? Ask an Ophthalmologist.